Wednesday 23 December 2009

Adams style fireplace

This is an Adams style fireplace, they were popular in the 1700's and made a come back in the 1900's, really went out of fashion at one point but came back in the 80's and coming back into vogue in about a year - how do i know? i see them around, i saw one in the backdrop of an interview with Barack Obama by some upscale journo - you need to keep your eyes peeled, theres opportunities to learn everywhere as far as trends and fashions go in my opinion its all to do with political climates and the economy but thats another blog. These fireplaces have a very elegant look about them, in this room the fireplace complimented the coving really well. If you have any info about these fireplaces id love to know. Not too much info though, i would love to but dont have the time to become an expert. Just the odd snippet of info would be much appreciated. Good point actually, i do not set out to be a restorer of period properties, I like to renovate them as far as my budget allows and to the extent that i believe my market can see. The very capable English Heritage do restorations - they do it for their love of the past. I am not them, so please dont criticise my work saying its not a true restoration, Im a realist and unfortunately the budget is my boss. I say that but sometimes you make exceptions.

I had a guy make up an exact reproduction of this in MDF for the extension, Elegant Homes fireplaces are good. They're based in Woodford and Walthamstow. The guy who runs the place is a little bit mental. Make sure you are not to far from the door if you go to see this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment